Tuesday, November 20, 2007

How Dare You!

How dare you interrupt my life!

How dare you get in my way!

Who do you think you are?!

Who's the "you" here?

It's the fog ... and the delays it caused at LAX.

I'm just amazed at how easily people express anger, resentment, frustration to the cameras, as if they and their little lives were the center of the universe, that everyone and everything ought to march to the beat of their drummer.

The age of entitlement?

We've managed to now raise several generations who are morally self-centered and feel mighty good about themselves ... the ultimate insanity of the self-esteem engine churning out best-selling books, propelling TV gurus to fame, and putting each of us into the center of our own little universe - alone, frightened and angry.

Ironically, the "United" States is becoming a nation of disconnected folks, united to none but themselves, which makes as much sense as tying a shoe with one hand.

The book, Bowling Alone and other such commentaries on the American Way, reveal serious fault lines in the Republic.

Which reminds me - the heart and soul of the American Dream was created in the furnace of religion and Enlightenment ... the deep reservoirs of faith and responsibility - driven by bright minds with high moral resolve.

Which reminds me - perhaps people of faith and Enlightenment can once again bring about renewal for the nation ... if we can capture again the words of Jesus: "You are the salt of the earth" and "You are the light of the world."

I wonder ... when the world looks at me, when it listens, or at least hears, my words, what does it think of Jesus, the One whom I profess to love and follow?

The nasty little world we're creating will be renewed only by people of great minds and hearts ... who transcend their lives because they belong to something vast and great - like the human race - and practice the walk of peace and contentment, with the creative energies to change things for the good.

Which reminds me ... if God is at work in all things for good, then I'll find good in the fog.

Wherever I am, wherever I go, "I am with you always" said Jesus.

Sit back, relax, take a deep breath.

Thank God for the fog!