Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Why I Support Abortion Rights!

Why I support abortion rights:
Because life is hard, if not for all, then for many.

Life confronts us with hard choices.
Choices none of us want to make.
But choices we have to make.
Sort of like marriage:
For better or for worse.

All of us have made hard choices.
We live with the consequences.
We revisit the choice from time-to-time:
Was there another way?
A way less painful?

Sure, we've all made dumb choices.
Sinful choices, choices of self, myself, my comfort.
What else is new?

And we've made the best of all possible choices.
Even when there were no good choices to be had.

Bonhoeffer said, rarely is the choice between good and bad,
But good and good, and
Bad and bad.

I prefer to live in a real world.
A world of hard choices.
A world wherein I respect others and their pathway.
As I would hope they could respect mine.

Trusting that most people do the best they can.
And for some, the best is limited.
By circumstances, or who knows what.

If we lived in an ideal world (why is that kind of world always one imagined by those whose ideals are not mine?)
Hitler lived in an ideal world.
So did Stalin.
So do most evangelicals, which is why most evangelicals are just plain cruel. Ideals are good to have, but try to enforce them, and we end with cruelty.

I live in a world as it is.
I have hopes for something better.
And I know what can be done to improve life for millions.
But it costs money.
And why not?

But evangelicals hate to spend money.
They'd rather preach.
Hand out tracts.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with you."

I have hopes.
Let's spend some of our precious money.
Let's put on our thinking caps.
And go to work.

We can only make life a little easier.
And somewhere along the line, scrap the ideals.
If they're getting in the way of common sense and God's grace.

A world of grace.
And what grace fosters: common sense.
That's the world in which I choose to live.
The only world as far as I can see.

And it's the only world God sees as well.
Which is why the Incarnation.
Not for an alternative-fact world.
But this one.
To love and to hold.

That's why I support abortion rights!

No comments:

Post a Comment