Thursday, January 13, 2022

A Letter to Senator Sinema

I appreciate your support on voting rights.

But you know, and I know, that denying the opportunity to check the power of the filibuster, voting rights will never pass in the present Senate, because of GOP obstructionism.

You know this to be true, so does America, and so do your Republican colleagues, who thank their lucky stars for you.

So, I beg you to reconsider the filibuster - it's a device devised by those who would use their minority status to stymie the progress and hope of the nation. It's been a tool of the South, and you know that, too. A tool to prevent any reform in civil rights.

The filibuster is a remnant of another age, a worn-out tool that has long since proved useless.

With one exception - if it could be restored to its original practice, of compelling a senator to take the floor and speak for hours upon hours, making a fool of himself,(or herself, these days), and letting the nation realize how foolish the speaker is.

The Senate needs to free itself from the dictatorship, the tyranny, of reactionary forces. Should the character of the Senate change, there might be a time when I regret my words, but in reality, I'd learn the lesson of politics - tides change, and to support a device that allows a disgruntled few to dominate the Senate cripples the nation, whether the Senate be under GOP or Democratic domination.

I hope, no, I beg you to support your President, my President, in the effort to send the filibuster to the neighborhood antique shop, and getting voting rights passed in the US Senate, for the sake of America.

Sincerely,


The Rev. Dr. Tom Eggebeen
Pasadena, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment