Friday, September 20, 2024

9.20.24 My Faith and My Politics

 I was a Christian long before I became political ... God was in my life from the beginning ... I knew that ... a Presence, kind and loving, always there, for little Tommy Eggebeen.

I was a Christian long before I became political.


And when I became political, it flowed out of my heart, full of the Christ that lived, and still lives, in my heart.


Was I good little boy?


Hardly ... and I'm still far from good ... but God is as close to me as ever ... "I am with you always!" ... and that's the light of my life, it's my hope, and my peace, in the midst of this and that and everything else.


My commitment to Democracy grows out of my earliest commitments to Christ ... my sense of compassion for the bruised and the beaten flows from the love and grace of Christ ... my commitment to good government working for all the people flows from God's creation purpose - a love for all, a desire to redeem and make everything new ... can I be any less in my world view than God?


All that I am politically flows from all that I have always been in Christ, "before the foundation of the world" ... primordially, eternally, and infinitely.


I was, and am, and will be a Christian, by the grace of God, the very same grace I believe embodied in our best dreams and highest virtues ... 


I've a long way to go, and so does my nation, and on this side of the great divide of time and eternity, we may never fully reach the goal, but I'm not about to give up, I'm not about to surrender my values, I'm not about to go backward into the darkness, but forward into the light.


So help me God ... Father, Son and Holy Spirit ... Mother, Daughter, and Divine Love ... Creator, Redeemer, and Giver of Life ... Above, Within, and Beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment